Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mendacious
Suka berbohong
- A mendacious child.
Litterbug, litter lout (BrE)
Orang yang suka buang sampah sembarangan.
- This town has a lot of litterbugs.
Without further ado
Tanpa panjang lebar lagi..
- Ladies and gentelmen,without further ado ......................!
Stilt
Enggrang
- To walk with stilts.
Hopscotch
Main jingkat, engklek
- I used to play hopscotch as a child.
Be caught short, be taken short.
Kebelet mau buang air besar.
- Those caught short in the store will have to pay £1 to use the toilets.
There is nothing to it
Sangat mudah
- Worry not boys! There’s nothing to it.
Gratis
Gratis , tidak pake duit.
- A monthly programme was issued gratis.
Nothing but, only
Hanya
- I want nothing but you.
Notorious
Terkenal karena kejahatannya
- He’s notorious for his womanizing.
Mulatto
Anak yang punya orang tua satu berkulit hitam dan satu berkulit putih.
- Dion is a mullato.
Fulsome
Terlalu mudah bilang maaf, menjemukkan, memuakkan, munafik.
- The press are embarrassingly fulsome in their appreciation
Meek
Penurut, baik.
- She brought her meek little husband along.
Talk is cheap
Bicara itu mudah
- You think it’s easy, talk is cheap bro!
Fickle
Suka berubah – ubah
- A fickle friend.
Talking point
Pokok masalah
- Let’s get to the talking point!
Conclude
Menutup, mengakhiri sebuah acara.
- We conclude a meeting with a pray.
To be compromised
Ketahuan.
- We have been compromised, it’s better for us to go away.
Muffle
Meredam
- I try to muffle the sound of the clock.
I tell you what.
Begini saja.
- I tell you what, it’s better for us to go to the market first and to the beach afterwards.
You can say that again, I’ll say, don’t I knew it = I agree
Saya setuju.
- A: can we just stop and find some refreshments?
  B: yeah... you can say that again.
Derision
Ejekan
- My stories were greeted with derision and disbelief.
What say you?
Apa pendapatmu?
- What say you john about all of it?
Sugar daddy
Tua – tua keladi
- Your father is a sugar daddy, isn’t he?
Freeloader
Orang yang sukanya gratisan.
- Deddy is such a freeloader.
Down under
Australia or New Zealand
- Take a flight down under in September.
Mouthy
Banyak cakap, omong.
- An especially mouthy eleven-year-old.
Make a monkey face at
Mengolok – olok, mengejek.
- Don’t make a monkey face at me!
Sweet-talk
Bicara manis.
- Detectives sweet-talked them into confessing.
You know what?
Kamu tahu tidak?
- Hey.. Andre, you know what?
Footman
Pelayan, tukang buka pintu
- The footman is waiting for the guest.
New man
Lelaki rumah tangga. Lelaki yang mengerjakan perkerjaan wanita.
- He is the epitome of a new man, leaving the office to arrive home in time to bath his daughter
Disown
Memungkiri, tidak mengakui.
- Lovell’s rich family had disowned him because of his marriage.
At a loose end
Lontang lantung, tidak punya tujuan.
- Why don’t you stay to eat, if you’re at a loose end?
Kiss of life = artificial respiration.
Nafas buatan.
- Just give him a kiss of life!
Come again = I beg your pardon.
Maaf, kamu bilang apa?
- Come again sir? I don’t catch what you just said.
Hobson’s choice
Tidak ada pilihan lain cuma tinggal satu pilihan.
- Take it or leave it, cause it’s a hobson’s choice.
 Be a talker than a doer
Lebih banyak bicara dari pada melakukan
- He’s more a talker than a doer.
Gait
Kiprah, gaya berjalan
- I never like your gait.
Disposition
Watak
- His disposition is ever so bad.
Gofer, dogsbody, gopher.
Kacung, pesuruh.
- He had worked his way from a gofer in the front office to general manager.
Freeze
Jangan bergerak! Diam di tempat!
- Freeze! You are under a rest.
Let’s talk over coffee
Mari berbicara sambil minum coffee.
Hear out
Dengarkan dulu baru berbicara
- Please hear me out! Don’t interrupt me like this.
Cling
Menempel
- The dirt clings to my shirt.
Scapegoat, fall guy.
Kambing hitam
- He will be a scapegoat if he doesn’t get out of that company.
Faith healing
Penyembuhan melalui doa atau keyakinan.
- Some believe the faith healing but some don’t.
Crave for
Mengidam
- My wife is craving for manggos.
Dead to the world
Tertidur pulas
- When going home from work I found him dead to the world.
How come
Bagaimana mungkin
- How come I can’t see what you say?
Flat broke
Sangat bokek, tidak punya uang.
- It’s been for four days for me not to go to the movie, i am flat broke.
Share and share alike
Bagi sama rata.
- We all share and share alike in camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment